Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tuna Burgers- yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

One of our favorite recipes we discovered in 2008 was for Tuna Cakes found in the Kraft Food and Family magazine. Now I've talked about this magazine before, but seriously, if you haven't signed up for it, go do that now! Here! You can thank me later.

Now it's very likely that I am bias because one of the main ingredients is stuffing mix, and well, I already confessed my love of stuffing in the ALDI's post. However, I truly believe this recipe is great anytime, but especially when I have forgotten to defrost some meat for dinner. After making it all year, we have created our own version of the original recipe since I don't regularly keep a few of the ingredients on hand. I made big tuna cakes, a.k.a. Tuna Burgers for dinner tonight and thought, "Wow, I've never put this on the blog! I am depriving the world of this yummy goodness!" So, here is our version of the Tuna Cake recipe, I hope you will try it and love it as much as we do (even Matthew!)

2 cans (6 oz. each) light tuna in water, drained, flaked
1 pkg. (6 oz.) Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup Shredded Cheese (Mexican Blend)
3/4 cup water
3 green onions chopped
1/3 cup Real Mayo Mayonnaise

MIX all ingredients. Refrigerate 10 min.

HEAT large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat. Use ice cream scoop to add 1/3-cup portions of tuna mixture, in batches, to skillet.

FLATTEN into patties with back of spatula. Cook 6 min. or until golden brown on both sides, carefully turning patties over after 3 min.

These are great as appetizers, or on buns as tuna burgers. We like to eat them with black bean hummus or a chipolte bean dip spread on the bun, and lettuce. In the summer I like them with more citrus flavors.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: