Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lessons Learned

Note: for some reason my picture function is not working right now. Sorry for the graphically boring posts lately!

I'm back! I hope you all had a great Valentine's Day and found something you could use in the "5 Days of Fun Valentine Ideas". We spend the holiday on a "family date" (aka- we didn't find a babysitter). We checked out a train museum in the city which Matthew LOVED, went for NY-style pizza which I LOVED, and then drove home and talked over some Kayak Coffee while the boys slept. I ended up giving Eric an insulated coffee mug, w/ photos of us all around it. It was kind of a selfish gift, b/c now he will stop taking my flowery Starbucks mug to the office ;-)

Last week a friend checked out this blog for the first time and said, "Liz, how do you get all this done? What am I doing wrong?" I quickly gave her the word of truth I have come to realize over the past few years . . . "something's always gotta give!" I assured her (and now you) that something has always gotta give. When my creative juices are flowing and I am frantically creating whatever it may be, other things go buy the wayside. The laundry builds up, dinners are last minute, and we won't even talk about my carpets! No one can do it all, all at the same time, including me.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to have a personal interview with a well known, Christian author, speaker, and servant to those in need. I was humbled by all she has accomplished in her life, by her godly attitude, her knowledge of the Bible, and her vast world travels. For one hour I was able to ask her any question I wanted. Towards the end of our time, I asked her how she keeps it all together. I mean, she travels from Asia to England and back again, then stops at home. How does the water bill get paid and the laundry get done? Does she have help? How does she keep her head on straight? She laughed and told me that last weekend she had woke up with the sun, dressed and prepared for Sunday service, and drove to the church where her husband had been the Sr. Pastor for almost 20 years. She said, "Do you know what I realized when I go there? . . . . It was Saturday!" She went on to confess that she doesn't always have it all together and that's ok. She does what she can, when she can, and gives herself grace. She told me that it was about doing what was most important at the at time, not doing everything all the time. I was sooooooooooooo blessed by knowing this. Whenever I am tempted to compare myself to others who seem much more accomplished, who seem to keep it all together, or appear to be "super mom" I always remember- Something's Gotta Give. This encourages me to remember that nobody's got it all together, AND to be intentional about what I am going to do, and what is going to be sacrifice.

Last week I learned a few lessons that will help me decide where I need to be more intentional, and more self-controlled.
  1. Crafting is like a sugar high for me. I love it, it's a few sweet hours of fun, but a whole week of it (without other more substantial activities) leaves me crashing down from that high. By Friday of last week I was feeling tired, worn out, and overwhelmed by the housework that DIDN'T get done.
  2. I don't want to be a professional blogger. Eric was joking that maybe I can do this for a little extra income, but as much as I like posting, I don't like the feeling of being OBLIGATED to post everyday.
  3. I need to reign in my crafting "manic" so that it is better paced and mixed with activities such as reading.
  4. It is very easy for me to digress from the healthy cooking patterns I have started this new year. I need to stay on top of the menu planning, and keeping the fridge and freezer stocked with healthy options. I had a near constant companion last week- her name is Little Debbie.
So there are my confessions. I hope in some strange way they have encouraged you, or at least let you get to know me better. I will continue to blog, I've got about 5 ideas in my head right now! So keep checking, even if you don't see a post everyday.

BTW- if you are still reading this, thanks for sticking with me :-)

2 comments:

molly said...

Liz, you know that I LOVE this post! Of course, I have it all together...afterall, I AM super mom!!! ha!ha!! :) (notice how often my blogs been updated lately.)

Anonymous said...

Thx Liz I love the honesty and grace you are giving yourself. After all it takes a strong woman to admit what we all know too well .... Noone is perfect and everyone has their moments.