Sunday, February 8, 2009

Day 1: Memory Pendant


(So this was actually Christmas Crafts Part 3, but since it never got posted, we'll turn it into Valentines Fun Day 1 ;-)

Lockets have been the traditional way to keep memories around your neck and close to your heart. However, last year I ran across this cool idea in Wondertime Magazine and thought it was so cute! I can't find it on their website now, but there are countless other fabulous ideas there- check it out!

Anyhow, this simple craft makes an adorable gift with sentiment. I made the one pictured for my mother in law this Christmas using a piece of Eric's well worn baby blanket (pictured here).

To try this yourself you will need:
  • a ceramic donut bead (I picked this one up at Michael's)
  • a special piece of fabric, wall paper, wrapping paper or even a photo printed on lightweight paper
  • a pendant pinch or leather cord (optional-also found at Michael's among the beads)
  • modge podge glue
  • a pencil
  • scissors
  • exacto knife
Directions:
  1. Trace around the bead onto your piece of fabric.
  2. Carefully cut the circle out of your fabric, handling delicately so as not to cause fraying.
  3. Apply a thin coat of glue to the surface of the bead and lay fabric on top
  4. Apply a top coat of glue over the fabric, paying special attention to glue down edges. Resist the urge to keep brushing the glue, as this can cause brush marks to remain.
  5. Cut out the center hole using exacto knife. Press raw edges into the hole for a smooth finish.
  6. Apply two more top coats of glue over the fabric and edges, allowing coats to dry in between.
  7. When bead is completely dry, add pendant pinch or tie up using a leather cord.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I had to finally say hello:) I knew Eric at Taylor and found your blog thru, either Molly or Tracy, can't remember now. Anyways, I have so enjoyed all your fun tips, money saving ideas and recipes. The turkey sloppy joes are making the rounds with my friends here in N CA. its been very funny as most of them have never ever heard of sloppy joes...and now they are huge fans b/c of your yummy recipe. I'm making it again tonight for dinner... Thanks so much!!! and hi to Eric for me:)

Jamie (Thomas) Merkel

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffani P said...

Great craft idea, Liz! Love it!! I'll keep it in mind when I'm making gifts in the near months!

Liz said...

Jamie, thanks for commenting!!! It's so fun to see who is out there reading the blog and what they are doing with the ideas posted here. I'm sooooooo glad you like the sloppy joe's. I'll tell be sure to tell Eric we "met" when he get's home tonight. Many blessings to you!