
Today has been a beautiful, glorious, wonderful day. The sun is shining brightly, the chill is gone, and we used every excuse to be outside. We cleaned up the garage, took in the recycling, and went up to the public library in our wagon. (I love that wagon!) As we were on our walk, soaking up the day, I started thinking about how a day like this is even more special because it comes after months of winter. I mean, if I lived in Florida, would I get all excited about 60 degrees? Probably not. It's the lack of something that makes it special again. Kind of like when we sacrifice something for our families, or for God, and then find we get to have that thing back somewhere down the road. Wow, it's kind of like Lent- which starts today!
OK, so that is not a great theological explanation of Lent, but it is a by-product that we experience from this season of sacrifice. I didn't grow up practicing Lent, but have come to appreciate the season more in my adult life. Some years I "give up" something, some years I "take on" something, and some years I do both. I don't do this to earn God's favor through the sacrifice. I do it to make more room in my life for Him. I also do it to show God that I don't want to hold onto my "comforts" of life more than I hold on to Him. So I will be fasting from something this Lent. I have chosen something that is a bit of a stretch for me to go without, and yet it's my offering to God. I will hopefully taking on a new discipline as well, to fill that space in my life with something even more positive and glorifying to God.
Today I am grateful for the sun, & grateful for the encouragement I have had around me that helped me get through the dark, cold winter without getting too blue. I am grateful for seasons in nature and life, for seasons of sacrifice and the assurance that new life will come soon.
OK, so that is not a great theological explanation of Lent, but it is a by-product that we experience from this season of sacrifice. I didn't grow up practicing Lent, but have come to appreciate the season more in my adult life. Some years I "give up" something, some years I "take on" something, and some years I do both. I don't do this to earn God's favor through the sacrifice. I do it to make more room in my life for Him. I also do it to show God that I don't want to hold onto my "comforts" of life more than I hold on to Him. So I will be fasting from something this Lent. I have chosen something that is a bit of a stretch for me to go without, and yet it's my offering to God. I will hopefully taking on a new discipline as well, to fill that space in my life with something even more positive and glorifying to God.
Today I am grateful for the sun, & grateful for the encouragement I have had around me that helped me get through the dark, cold winter without getting too blue. I am grateful for seasons in nature and life, for seasons of sacrifice and the assurance that new life will come soon.


4 comments:
I'm participating in Lent, too - I'm hopin to update the blog tonight/tomorrow.
Micah looks sooo big!
"My bit of a stretch" would be to give up chocolate......I did not have any today....I think i'll purpose not to have it one day at a time until Easter.
MOM, you might have to clean out the secret stash if you're gonna do that! Seriously, how much chocolate is hiding in that house?
I am an open book regarding how much i have! thanks to my family generous gifts of chocolate i do have alot.
They are stored in the freezer or are in unopened box.
I am determined to be free of this one day at a time (much like a addict). so pray for me!
Post a Comment