Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 4- Say it with Socks

I love having boys, but in February I have to walk right past all those adorable heart themes socks in the stores. Those of you with girls can take today's ideas and make them much more "Valentine"-y. :-)

Recently, while folding laundry with Matthew, I took a sock and pretended it was a puppet. He LOVED that and wants me to do it every time there is a sock around. So I thought I would make him a sock puppet for Valentine's Day as my way of showing him how I love to delight him. I kept it VERY SIMPLE as time is short, but I think he will like this snake puppet all the same. I love that sock puppets can be made out of anything you have sitting around the house and if they get dirty, you just throw it in the wash :-) I also love that 2 year old kids don't give a lick about how much you spent on them :-)

Micah is also getting a sock craft this Valentine's Day. He's getting some baby leg "huggers" (sounds so much less '80's than "warmers" :-). I have had my eye on these for a while, hoping to find a pair under $10, but no such luck. Instead I found this great tutorial on how to make them myself. It was very easy and they look and feel great. I used the hand sewed method mentioned, using a 20 oz soda bottle inside the sock to keep them slightly expanded. The trickiest part to making your own baby leg huggers is finding the socks. I picked these and a few other pairs at Target. If you have a baby under 6 months, regular length socks are fine. For baby's over 6 months I would suggest trying to find the longer tube style that rise to just below the knee.

Two more "heart themed" and adorable ideas can be found today over at The Homespun Heart.

I picked up my Valentines Cards w/ coupon from Old Navy today. Don't forget to grab yours if you are in that area!

2 comments:

pdisandro said...

Great job on the baby leg huggers! I asked my sis about making some for Livvy and she said that she had found some on sale for $6 something at the following site: http://clothdiaperclearance.com/catalog.php?category=464. Cute idea!

Anonymous said...

I just love those little legs with or without leg huggers!