I have a confession to make. I often get overwhelmed by prayer. There are so many people I love and care about who have burdens that I want to pray for. Some are sick, others are heartbroken, some are discouraged or even need God to provide something for them. In my heart I want to keep praying for these loved ones often, but in my daily life I get distracted. So, in an effort to be reminded of the prayer needs of our loved ones, we recently added a "prayer jar" to our kitchen table. It's a simple jar with little pieces of paper in it, each holding the name and prayer needs of people we love. Now each night at dinner we try to take a name or two out of the jar and include them in our mealtime prayer. We put them back in the jar after that. Simple, but the Bible says prayer doesn't need to be fancy! I know, you are wondering what happens when I keep pulling the name of the same person out of the jar. Well, maybe that's just God's way of telling me that person really needs our prayers right now :-) Please let me know if you would like to be in our prayer jar!
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
The Prayer Jar
I have a confession to make. I often get overwhelmed by prayer. There are so many people I love and care about who have burdens that I want to pray for. Some are sick, others are heartbroken, some are discouraged or even need God to provide something for them. In my heart I want to keep praying for these loved ones often, but in my daily life I get distracted. So, in an effort to be reminded of the prayer needs of our loved ones, we recently added a "prayer jar" to our kitchen table. It's a simple jar with little pieces of paper in it, each holding the name and prayer needs of people we love. Now each night at dinner we try to take a name or two out of the jar and include them in our mealtime prayer. We put them back in the jar after that. Simple, but the Bible says prayer doesn't need to be fancy! I know, you are wondering what happens when I keep pulling the name of the same person out of the jar. Well, maybe that's just God's way of telling me that person really needs our prayers right now :-) Please let me know if you would like to be in our prayer jar!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great idea! You are so very thoughtful. How our minds do not focus on where we need to focus at those prayer moments before a meal - a great way to bring those thoughts to mind.
Post a Comment