
This weekend was wonderful! I spent Saturday and Sunday donning both short-sleeves and flip flops. When I lived "up north" it seemed that Spring would hide until mid-May, how depressing! I love living further south now, where I can count on seeing my flip-flops by late March- just in time for my birthday!
Every year at this time I go outside and cut a few branches from my orange blossom and crab apple trees. I bring them inside and put them in water and wait for my forced blooms to brighten up the house and help me hang on until the tulips come up. People think I'm crazy for having what appears to be dead branches in a vase of water sitting in my house, but I just smile and say "wait, . . . they are about to be beautiful." In a few weeks they will be a delicate collection of flowers resting gracefully on their branches. If you are anxious for spring flowers too, try this at your house! You can go to this instructional article on forcing your own blooms, or use my simpler and less official method :
- cut some thin branches from a flowering tree
- place them in a vase of water
- place the vase near a window for sunlight
- change the water every few days (and maybe give them a clean cut)
- wait and look for signs of spring to bloom in your home!

No comments:
Post a Comment