Monday, May 18, 2009

If Liz Can Sew, So Can You!

When I was a little girl, I remember my grandmother watching this cooking show with a guy name Martin Yan. His line was "If Yan Can cook, so can you!" I always thought it was clever- and my adaptation of it expresses how I feel today. I've said it before, I am no seamstress. However, for some odd reason, I keep feeling drawn back to sewing projects over and over again. Maybe it's all the fun designs, or the taking of formless fabic and making it functional- who knows! I just like it. Soooooooooo, I have my eye on this bag I really want to make by designer Amy Butler. But I need to build up the courage to attempt it. I've already purchase the fabric but I don't want to mess it up. So yesterday I practiced my skill by making a tote bag to take on our upcoming vacation. I found this canvas weight material at walmart for $2 a yard (clearance). I bought three yards and have much left to work with. (Hmmmmmmmmmm, upholster a desk chair with it?) Anyhow, when I got home I realized the design was named cheerios- how appropriate for my current season of life! I used a very straightforward and simple tutorial and it came together in just a few hours. I broke the task up into short segments that I did throughout the day. The only things I did different was add the blue piping at the pocket to help define the opening and add a lining. I just felt like a lining would make it seem "complete" and after putting all the time in it, I definately wanted it to be complete. Here's the end results:

My big tote! The bottom looks funny b/c it's empty :-)
Cheerios design and blue piping on the pocket. The colors look a little French to me.The cavernous interior. I used blue chintz that I had laying around for about 15 years (no joke) in hope that it will clean up easier should something spill in it.

4 comments:

mom said...

My daughter, the seamster.....
I am very impressed-You did a great job! I love the colors too.

If you wanted to, you could add a fabric covered cardboard to place on the bottom of the bag so it has more shape when not so full of stuff

Amy said...

I love this and can't wait to see your Amy Butler version! Love, love her fabrics! Love your blog...found you through Traci.

molly said...

Wow! What talent!! :) I have a pile of pants to take up in the waist sitting by the sewing machine....I can't even seem to get to those. Oh how I wish I were sewing things like this instead!

Cainan & Ryker said...

Looks great! I love making totes and purses in all shapes and sizes. I'm getting to try a new one myself.

To keep the bottoms of my bags stiff and flat (which isn't really always necessary in a tote) I sew a piece of plastic mesh (like people use for needlepoint)in to the bottom of the bag before I put the lining in. I used to use cardboard (as your mom suggested) but then you can't put the bag in the washing machine. If you make the stiff bottom removable then cardboard is fine.

Happy sewing!