Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Need Ideas!

As I mentioned yesterday, we are preparing to go on vacation with Eric's family in a few weeks. So far, Micah has been awful at sleeping in strange places. I remember Matthew being this way too, but his resistance was short lived compare to Micah. Anyhow, we will all be sharing a bedroom for the week and I'm pretty nervous about how it will go. Beach vacations are nice, but sleepless nights will definately ruin the laid back attitude. Soooooooooooooooooo, anybody have some helpful hints on the following topics:

* getting your kids to sleep in strange places (drug free solutions please)
* dealing with a nap schedule when you want to sit by the pool all day (Micah is still taking 2 naps)
* handy things to keep at the beach or pool side
* any other vacation tips you want to throw out there.

Last time we did this trip Matthew was just turning 1. I put a pack and play next to my beach chair and gave him a BIG bottle at 10 a.m. and he took a nap right there. I'm not convinced Micah will go for this, but a girl can hope right? :-)

Don't be shy about commenting- I look forward to reading ideas!

5 comments:

Cainan & Ryker said...

I always dread sleeping in a hotel room with all of the kids. It becomes a strategy puzzle to get everyone sleeping while Mom and Dad watch TV or play cards or whateve. (I'm sorry. I cannot go to bed at 9 pm no matter how hard I try.)

We've done all kinds of crazy things in the past to get the baby to sleep soundly in the same room with us. It really just depends on how the hotel room is set up. If the bathroom is big enough and you know that no one will need it during the night you can set the pack-n-play up in there. Also, sometimes the closets are big enough to fit the pack-n-play in. If neither of those options work I have also just put the pack-n-play in the entryway near the door to the room and then taken the closet door off of the hinges and set it up between the pack-n-play and the rest of the room.

(I told you we've tried it all.) If all else fails I've moved the furniture and lamps around in the room to creat a wall around the pack-n-play that I then cover with a sheet to make a solid barrier between baby and everyone else.

I have no idea how to get them to sleep outside near the pool. None of my kids would do that. Maybe Grandma and Dad will take turns with you staying inside with Micah as he naps?

Have a great trip!

Cainan & Ryker said...

Oh, forgot to mention that we never go to a hotel without a portable fan to turn on right beside the pack-n-play for white noise.

You should see the looks we get from front desk clerks when we drag our stuff in. :)

Mike M said...

Don't let Micah take two naps. Duh. He'll sleep all night then. :)

-your brother (the kid expert)

Emily said...

I second the white noise of some kind, it has worked wonders for all of our times sharing with Ella!
Also, We have become hallway loungers. It helps her to fall asleep if we leave the room for about 10-20min and then we can go back in and make some noise.
I use the barracade methods too, with furniture.

As far as poolside, I haven't tried that, but I do know this: sometimes repetitive attempts to get Ella to sleep don't work and I have to give up entirely on a nap.
once she fell asleep in the backpack carrier while walking on the beach, and then we just set it down with her in it and the waves made the white noise. That was nice.

I will be thinking of you and hoping for your success in sleeping on vacation!

Turning into Mom said...

I once read somewhere in a Lisa Whelchel book that on vacations she recommends relaxing on routine naptime/bedtime. She discovered the hard way that she was trying so hard to keep her kids on schedule that she wasn't enjoying herself. I like the suggestion of a putting a pack and play with you. If possible, grandparents can (and usually are quite willing) help with taking turns. I've personally had to let go of certain routines when on vacation or visiting family. For us, our kids see family only once a year. I figure, if I'm relaxed so will my family be. Hope this helps. Have fun!