Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day

Now usually, with a title like this one, you would expect to see pictures of us playing in the snow, and having a blast outside. Buy with about 5 inches of snow on the ground, a walk that has yet to be shoveled, and a 7 month old baby, I just wasn't brave enough to venture outside. So we enjoyed our snowy Tuesday from the indoors. Matthew and I had fun looking at the snow through our nice new storm door. We decided to break out the camera and take some pictures. Matthew was in full cooperation as long as he could operate the remote. I figured that was a fair trade off.

Then for lunch had multigrain pancakes with blueberries. (I know this is more of a breakfast meal but I need to go to the store badly and didn't have other stuff. Besides, it seemed yummy and cozy!) Ever since I discovered this recipe, we haven't made pancakes any other way. I keep a big batch of the dry mix in my refrigerator, so it's fast and ready any time. My version of the dry mix is:
Multigrain Pancake Mix
  • 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/8 cup soy flour
  • 2/3 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Preparation: Place oats in food processor, and process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients; process until smooth. Store in a tightly sealed container in refrigerator.

When you are ready to make your pancakes use:
  • 1 cup milk or low-fat buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups multigrain pancake mix
Combine all ingredients. Add more liquid if consistency is too thick. Pour a 1/4 cup per pancake on non-stick griddle over medium heat. Sprinkle with frozen blueberries if desired. Flip when pancakes are bubbly on top and cook for 1-2 more minutes. These freeze great!

Tonight we had dinner with our friend Patty who has been surviving without her hubby for 9 days. I made the light version of Chicken Marsala from Lickety Split Meals. While it wasn't as rich as my personal recipe, Eric said it was a pretty good alternative. Then baths, bed, and we called it a day. Maybe tomorrow we will try building a snowman :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the words of Rachel Ray....
Multigrain blueberry pancakes...
YUMMY!!!!!!!!We had them for lunch today and Dad loves them too.

Anonymous said...

Mom, it's YUM-O!

Anonymous said...

She also says yummy at times-
Yum-o is for a complete meal-
yummy is for 1 dish- so there!