Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas Crafts Part 2

Matthew LOVES to cook with me, so this year we made some edible treats for both our human and canine friends.

While browsing through dip mixes at one of those gourmet food shops, I thought to myself "I could make these for a fraction of the cost". I searched online and found countless recipes for dry mixes that make great gifts. There were soups, cookies, dips, breads, . . . so many it was hard to choose from! Since our friends are all fans of the beer bread mix you buy at home parties, I decided that would be a good idea and whipped up a similar dry mix using this recipe. I've received great feed back about it and many requests for the recipe. If you know the bread I'm talking about, give this recipe a try and save yourself $6! I also included the Fiesta Dip mix found here. If you decide to make that too, leave out the salt, it's way too much and doesn't need it!

Next, for our canine cousins Cabo and LJ, Matthew made Buddy Treats, our version of gourmet dog treats. We cut them out into little starts and wrapped them up with some plaid ribbon and a label. I couldn't believe how easy they were to make! I had everything on hand. If you don't have these items in your pantry, do an online search for another recipe. There are so many out there, you are bound to find one you can use. Many even use leftovers and even baby food! Again, this is a great money saver and a fun way to show you care (did I just say that about a dog?). Kids really get into it too. Matthew still talks about "the treats I made for Cabo & LJ".

No Matthew, . . . your still not getting a dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that beer bread recipe, I plan to add it to our menu often! :)