
Sometime in 2008, I decided to try shopping at ALDI's and see what the big deal was. At first I hated it and swore never to go back. But the discount on our groceries was hard bait to resist and I gave it a few more tries. Within a month or so I started hating all my old grocery haunts and loved going to ALDI's. Besides the low, low prices, I enjoyed having less selection. I don't have to compare brands, I just go in, grab what I need, and get out. For anyone who wants evidence of the money they can save at ALDI's before trying it out, check out this post, which includes a price comparison spreadsheet.
The only problem with shopping at ALDI's is that I can't help but feel my arteries hardening as I walk through what seems like rows and rows of processed food. This conflicts with my attempts to be even more conscious of what we eat, purchasing more organic and all natural products, even if it costs a little more. If only ALDI's went organic . . . .
Anyhow, I had this conversation with a number of you during my holiday travels and was asked what I do buy there. Since I went today with Eric to get stuff for the team Super Bowl Party and for our family, I thought I'd mention my standard list in today's post. When you get through skimming the list, leave me your favorite items from ALDI so I can try them on my next visit!
- Almonds
- Dried cranberries
- canola oil
- condiments, spices and baking supplies
- tortilla chips
- Salsa
- lots of boxes of brownie mix (for when I have last minute guests)
- 2 gallons of milk
- 2 doz eggs
- sour cream
- shredded cheeses
- baby spinache when they have it
- honey
- old fashion oats
- light tuna in water
- long grain brown rice
- pasta
- stuffing mix (I know it's processed by I am a sucker for anything with stuffing in it!)
- Apple Juice if it's 100% juice
- trash bags
- big refill jug of liquid hand soap
- paper goods
- black beans
- canned tomatoes
- refried beans
- chicken breast
- frozen green beans, corn, brocolli, veggie mix, tilapia, and TERIYAKI STIR FRY MIX WITH NOODLES!!!
- Whole grain bread and
- all good produce deals (avocado's were .50 a piece today- yey!)
- My weakness: The Jumbo Cinnamon rolls (the kind in the can like pillsbury :-) yummmmy!

2 comments:
Hey Liz, random fact I thought you might like about ALDI...it's owned by one brother of the same family that owns Trader Joe's. Some of the frozen foods are the SAME food as at TJs! I have yet to do a side by side comparison but I'll let you know the results if I do.
-Lauren (Ratz) Knoop
SHUT UP! NO WAY!!!! That's my favorite grocery store!!!!
Post a Comment