Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Feeding an Army & Raising an Explorer

Have you ever walked up to the produce stand and asked for 60 lbs of peaches and 10 watermelons? Or stood in Sam's club counting bananas to make sure that you had at least 100 in your cart? One of the unique activities in my life is feeding the football team on various occasions. Tomorrow night being the big Colts game, we are having a "team builder" and snacks for 100 were needed. So after breakfast, Matthew and I headed out to walmart to go shopping. Let me say that I have loved feeding crowds since my first dinner party at age 15, but shopping for them is another story. Regardless we set out, and quickly filled the cart to overflowing with brownies, party mix, drinks, chips, and touchdown taco dip for the entire team. Soon I was juggling my coffee, steering the heavy cart, and returning everything Matthew handed me from the back of the cart. Almost at the end of my list, I stopped to look at one more treat for the guys. I turned my back for no more than a minute and the next thing I knew, a dozen eggs were sailing past me and crashing onto the floor. This was not the first time in this trip that I had to call maintenance. Mac had already dropped his sippy cup, which burst and spilled juice all over the floor of the hair product aisle. So I found the nearest employee and profusely apologized while reporting our mishap. Wouldn't you know that maintenance must have been on a coffee break b/c it took announcing our mess 4 TIMES before someone came to clean it up. So embarrassing, I just wanted to finish and get out. I was done struggling to make this cart turn down each aisle, keep everything in the cart, and Matthew's hands to himself. Grabbing some more eggs, we made a beeline to the cashier and made it to the car. Just as I was putting my son in his car seat, he flashed me that I love you smile, and wow- all the frustration just disappeared. Why can't everyone in the world be this cute, I wouldn't stay frustrated for more than 5 minutes! Anyhow, Matthew immediately fell asleep for the 20 minute ride home. It seems all that throwing really wore him out!

1 comment:

CJCOdell said...

I hear you on that trip! We have had similar experiences!