Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sweet, Sweet Victory



Saturday was a really fun day. Eric woke up Sunday morning, gave me a hug and just had to say it again, "Liz, yesterday was really fun".



This weekend, our team facilitated a major upset when we defeated the #1 team in the conference, 44 to 14. That's right, 44 to 14. I literally had people calling me to make sure they heard the score right. One friend who was listening to the game online thought they had mixed up the teams when announcing the score! The last play of the game we took a knee and as I saw the expression on Eric's face, it brought me to tears. The players were freaking out, they drenched my husband with the cooler, and celebrated defeating this team for the first time that anyone could remember. I was so proud of the entire team, they truly have persevered and pushed themselves to realize their potential. Yesterday was such a fulfillment of what they could have only hoped for just weeks ago.

On a personal note, I ask myself why yesterday was so emotional for me. I have recently come to realize that in this unique profession, my husband has a public job performance evaluation every week . His career is scrutinized by parents, fans, players and opponents every Saturday at 1 p.m., and then critiqued (by only God knows who) on Internet message boards all through out the week. He rarely gets the credit he deserves and often receives more "feedback" than he asked for. He is trying to manage hundreds of factors each week, not only to pull off a win and be an excellent team, but more importantly to teach and mold young men into God-honoring, compassionate, truth-seeking people who will bring about transformation on this earth. I know for sure that I could not personally endure that pressure, and can only support him as a by-stander. To see him experience such great joy, to witness the team arrive at a place where they can taste the rewards of their labor and commitment to the glory of God, was actually about a victory far beyond what had just happened on the field. And just like those Olympics commercials I cry at, there is something so precious about that moment where victory is something that can be grasped, especially when it's your husband reaching out for the prize.

3 comments:

Traci said...

I just read this post to Mike. He has a huge smile on his face and is beaming with pride for his friend. He just said, "I wish I could give him a big hug."

Tiffani P said...

I'm so grateful for Doug Dahnke's text messages so that no matter where I am I can get updates on the game!!!
The GC victory was as joyful and emotional for me as it was for all y'all at the stadium - - - I am so proud of all that the players and coaches are doing, and so grateful to have been a part of this program at one time!!

Mike M said...

Nice pic.