Our first season at MU was a tough one. Winning only 3 games, staying encouraged was a weekly battle, but I must say Eric fought it well. There were many, many dynamics to manage through the transition this year, too many to expound on here. But, in both the wins and losses, Eric would say he saw growth within the team.
During pre-season, many of the young men were fine with the "character teaching" and ministry components Eric presented as part of the new team philosophy. However, as push came to shove, some of the guys wanted to "shove" out all the Christian principals and focus only on football. The saw the emphasis on Christ as the reason for their losses. Unfortunately, these happend to be some of the most vocal players. Perseversance, and faith pushed the team through the low spots and somewhere mid-season, the guys who were trying to become this new team, started to see the light. Afterglow (post game times) began to grow, and the players started to see it's purpose. I think a highlight for Eric was after a very close game, when a veteran player told him that he just experienced something new. The team he was just part of during that game was different than anything he had been part of before. And he liked it.
Now that the season is over, we are spending our weekends at the local spa and fine resturants. JK!!!! The guys are working overtime trying to recruit for our weakest positions, as well as planning the leadership development that will take place in the "second season" (winter). Recruiting is more intense here than anywhere we have been prior, and our immediate future depends on it. If you are one to pray for Eric and team, please pray for God to open doors for MU to recruit talented players who will be godly leaders on this team.
These pictures were sent to us by a parent who took them during our last afterglow. The boys miss game day already and their buddy the moose. They are crazy about the moose!

2 comments:
I just realized that MU is also my initials!!! I think I need some "MU" apparel!!! :)
That picture is ADORABLE!!!! I thought you were the Pioneers? Maybe I'm confused. Thanks for a specific prayer request! :)
Post a Comment