Friday, August 14, 2009

Zucchini Applesauce Bread

After my last post, a friend had pity on me and brought me some zucchini- so I finally got to make some zucchini bread! I was looking for a healthier version, with less oil and sugar than typical recipes call for. I stumbled across this GREAT version from Cooking Light Magazine, which incorporates applesauce in place of some oil. After reading the reviews, I made a few adjustments using their suggestions. I thought it was delicious and not tough as low fat stuff can be. Here is the recipe I made, which was a double batch. It made two large loaves and 12 muffins:

  • 4 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 +1/2 cup applesauce
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoona vanilla extract
  • cooking spray

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place zucchini on several layers of paper towels, and cover with additional paper towel. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Set aside.
  3. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through baking powder) in a large bowl, and stir well; make a well in center of mixture. Combine zucchini, applesauce, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide batter evenly between loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.

3 comments:

The Schenk Family said...

wish i would have read this an hour ago. I just put the zucchini bread in the oven. I will try later.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I made that zucchini sauce and was pleased w/it. I've linked this post to this coming Tues. for my post.

pdisandro said...

Thanks for the recipe Liz! I made these tonight with a zucchini that didn't have a home. I actually followed the original recipe except for using whole eggs instead of the sub. And I made them as mini muffins. Mmmmmm, pretty good. Next time I think I will shred a carrot and add some golden raisens. It seems like it is missing something...