Monday, August 10, 2009

Bountiful Harvest


A friend from MOPS recently went on vacation and put out an invitation to raid her garden while she was gone. I will accept any invitation for garden plundering, since I wish so much I could have my own and can't. So Matthew and I headed out there and collected some yumminess, but were rushing b/c it was about to rain. I got home very excited about all I would do with the beautiful produce. I was especially excited about making some zucchini bread. However, about 6 hours AFTER I got home, my heart sunk as my brain kicked into gear. I went back to what I had harvested and realized didn't bring home a bunch of zucchini, . . . I brought home a bunch of cucumbers!!!!! What was I thinking?? I am so embarrassed- I do know the difference. Anyhow, since I don't know any other way of preserving cucumbers, I made pickles. The refrigerator pickles found here, were interesting, and though I generally hate pickles, I was able to suck one of these down. I thought my hubby would appreciate my labor of love (since he's the pickle eater in this family) but alas, after 8 years of marriage I learned something new. He only likes Dill pickles!!! Luckily we were having a big fried chicken dinner with the staff in a day or two and I served them there. When I noted who went back for more, I made sure to give them a jar to take home. I've got one left for when my parents visit- I hope you guys like sweet pickles! All that disappointment aside, it was a very easy recipe and you don't have to process the jars (like in canning) so I would do it again (and give away) if I found myself with more cucumbers :-) I have enjoyed all the rest of the produce very much- Thanks Crystal!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Emily said...

Too bad I can't take on off your hands, I love sweet pickles!

Cainan & Ryker said...

Ha Ha Ha! Yeah, some of our cucumbers were as big as zucchini. I've been wondering what I'm going to do with all of them myself. I'm the only one in my family that likes pickles and I still have some left from last year. I'm actually checking out recipes for cucumber salads (cukes, red onion, italian dressing, etc).

The Schenk Family said...

I love the blog and the tutu idea. It seems to be big a friend of mine makes them and showed me how. I am going to try and I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks Liz, the boys are growing so fast.