Thursday, July 16, 2009

Holding onto Summer

Summer is such a great season, full of unique activities (like when we went crabbing on vacation) and an easy going attitude.
Anyone else getting a little down, feeling like summer is almost over?
The football staff reports in 2 weeks and preseason camp will follow quickly. I have had a few discouraging moments lately when I think of how quickly the summer has passed and how long the days ahead will be, both for Eric at work and me at home. In order to fight this discouragement and dread, I've decided to try and hold on to summer in every way I can. It doesn't technically end until September 21st, and where I live, the weather doesn't change until late September early October, therefor I've resolved to keep enjoying all that summer has to offer. Since my boys still won't be in school this fall, I can even ignore all the "back to school" fiasco. I'm just going to hold on to summer decor, summer dress, summer activities, and summer recipes. I'm even planning a few more summer excursions!
If you like to hold on to summer as well, please share with me ways you like to soak up the simple joys of summer, even in Aug.and Sept, I could always use more inspiration.
If you want a great marinade recipe for the next time you grill pork, try this one, we love it:
Grilled Honey Garlic Chops
4 center cut bonless pork chops or 1-2 lb pork loin
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c honey
2 T soy sauce
1 T water
2 cloves garlic, minced
Combine juice through garlic and pour over pork in a heavy zip-lock bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is ok too!) Remover meat from marinade and grill over medium hot coals about 15 minutes (30 for loin) or until internal temp reaches 150 degrees. Turn once during grilling.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Emily said...

Totally agree, I have been sad too thinking that summer is almost over, and have thought 'it doesn't have to be just cause Joel is busy now!'
Anyway, I am with you, cause for me the end of summer means the beginning of life with two kids, and I am not sure if I will ever be ready for that! :)