Friday, November 7, 2008
A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words
Well, you may have noticed that my posts as of late, have been heavy on the pictures and light on the words. That is because, though my body is mostly recovered from having a baby, my brain is not. For the past 4 1/2 months it's as if I can't think very clearly. I am not even interested in thumbing through magazines, reading two sentence fashion tips, or household tricks. If our brains are a sponge, mine is heavy and sopping wet.
However, I'm doing my best to to stretch it a little each day and re-engage some part of my mind. I think this is why I have been enjoying my new camera, and old hobby of taking pictures. When I was taking classes some 12 years ago, photos were school assignments and learning exercises. But now they mean so much more. They can express emotions, and capture moments that I can't creatively articulate through words to the extent that will do them justice. Though I struggle to journal notes about my kids as they grow up and do adorable things, I can at least capture their quirky smiles, physical transformations, and precious moments of unabandonded play through photos. This makes me feel like I am doing something to track their history, creating something very personal, and to open the spillway of this waterlogged mind once again. For me, photography and my subjects are like the picture above; one bright and colorful spot along the mundane and unglamorous operations of my day.
Simon and Garfunkle once warned us "I have a photograph; preserve your memories, they are all that has left you". Though that might be a depressing thought to some, as I carry around my camera, I am in fact anticipating all that is to come and saying "bring on the memories."
BTW everyone: After many complaints, I have changed permission on comments, so you can add comments without signing in now! Hope to hear from you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Before I comment, I'll ask..Did you take the pic?
yes- be kind
Just didnt want to compliment you on a picture you didnt take. hah.
Looks good.
I think your photography is beautiful...you capture Matthew in such a "fun" light :)
Post a Comment