I've official made Monday nights "Soup Night" around here. One of these days I will get around to posting the soup recipes I have already made, but today-Corn Chowder with Chicken! It's pretty yummy, I don't know if I can wait until dinner time :-)
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup diced bacon or bacon bits w/ 2 T butter
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 c red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 T seasoning Salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 large chicken breast cooked and diced (optional)
Place the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat, and cook until crisp. Drain and crumble, reserving about 2 tablespoons drippings in the pot. If using bacon bits, just use 2 T butter. Saute onions in grease, adding 1 t seasoning salt. When brown & soft, add bell pepper and saute another 2 min. Toss together remaining seasoning salt, bacon bits and diced potatoes - add to the pot. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Pour in the broth, and stir in corn. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and cover pot. Add diced chicken, then simmer 20 minutes or longer, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender.
When you are ready to serve the soup, warm the half-and-half in a small saucepan until it bubbles. Remove from heat before it boils, and mix into the chowder just before serving. I'll be serving this with
Cheddar Muffins. Thanks for the recipe
Beth!
2 comments:
Those muffins are the BEST! Hope you like them!
Hi Liz,
I made this soup, and it was really good!! But, I didn't know what to do with the evaporated milk? It's listed as an ingredient, but not mentioned in the directions. I chose to add it to the half and half and warm them together. I only poured half of that combo into the soup, though, because it seemed like a too much...what do you do with it? Thanks for the great recipe!
Katherine Fulkerson
Post a Comment